MSU-CVM’s dermatology services are offered at the Animal Health Center and also at the college’s affiliate facility, the Animal Emergency and Referral Center in Flowood. Our board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Juli Gunter manages the investigation and management of skin diseases and allergies in dogs and cats. At the Animal Health Center she is available to consult with the equine clinicians about horses with dermatologic problems. Dr. Gunter is available to discuss referral cases with your primary veterinarian. Evaluations of new patients are made by scheduling an appointment. Please call (662) 325-1351 to schedule a visit for your pet or for your client, if you are the primary veterinarian.
After an initial examination, Dr. Gunter and the veterinary students working with her provide a tentative diagnosis and a detailed plan for further testing, treatment and long term care.
Please keep in mind, it is extremely helpful to keep your primary veterinarian involved with your pet’s care; previous records, diagnostic tests and response to medications can be helpful in interpreting your pet’s skin issues. Some procedures may need to be repeated as skin conditions can change over time. A dermatology specialist working with your primary veterinarian can be vital to the outcome of your pet’s skin condition as many of these cases do require long term care.
Before your visit, Dr. Gunter and her team may ask you to fill out this form to obtain an accurate history on your pet.
Commonly treated conditions:
- Allergy and allergy-induced skin diseases (pollen and environmental allergies, food allergies, and insect/parasite hypersensitivities) and the long-term management of these conditions
- Chronic or recurrent ear infections
- Bacterial, fungal and parasitic skin diseases
- Autoimmune and immune-mediated skin diseases
- Skin manifestations of systemic disease (cancer, cysts, tumors, metabolic disorders)
- Hair loss disorders
- Nail disorders