The radiology service provides a wide variety of diagnostic imaging services for the Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine Animal Health Center. Diagnostic imaging is crucial for the diagnosis of many common diseases. We offer small and large animal radiography (X-ray), digital fluoroscopy, small and large animal ultrasound, computed tomography (CT), and MRI.
All patients are referred to the radiology department by one of the clinical services in the hospital, such as surgery or internal medicine. Your Animal Health Center clinician will discuss the imaging findings with you after consulting with a radiologist.
We also offer consultation services for referring veterinarians. Your veterinarian can send us radiographs of your pet for interpretation by a radiologist.
Our staff consists of two board certified radiologists, three residency-trained radiologists, one resident, and three technicians.
Examinations We Offer:
- Thoracic (chest), abdominal, and musculoskeletal radiographs (x-rays) for small and large animals.
- Radiographs for submission to PennHip and Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA).
- Contrast studies
- Gastrointestinal barium studies to evaluate the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and large intestine
- Urinary iodine studies such as excretory urography for kidney and ureter evaluation, cystography for bladder evaluation, and urethrography for evaluation of the urethra
- Myelography for evaluation of the spinal cord
- Fluoroscopy for real-time evaluation of the esophagus, trachea, and more
- Thorax, including echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart)
- Musculoskeletal, including tendons and ligaments
- Ultrasound guided aspirates and biopsies
- CT for evaluation of diseases of the skull, nose, spine, limbs, ears, thorax, and abdomen
- MRI for evaluation of the brain and spinal cord
- Consultation for referring veterinarians
Information for Referring Veterinarians
Our radiologists are available for interpretation of radiographs of your patients. To send films to our section:
- Please complete the radiology referral form with as much patient information as possible.
- Please label all films with the name of the referring veterinary clinic, patient name, and date of examination.
- The cost for interpretation of radiographs is $43.00 per case.
- The cost for interpretation of MRI and CT images is $127.00 per case.
- Digital images from a digital camera are generally not of sufficient diagnostic quality as a large amount of information is lost.
If you have any questions, please call the radiology service at 662-325-1387.
Please send films to:
Animal Health Center
Mississippi State, MS 39762