The diagnostic imaging unit provides a wide variety of services for the Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine Animal Health Center. Diagnostic imaging is crucial for the diagnosis of many common diseases. We offer small and large animal radiography (X-ray), digital fluoroscopy, small and large animal ultrasound, computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
All patients are referred to the service by one of the clinical services in the hospital, such as Surgery or Internal Medicine. Your Animal Health Center clinician will discuss the imaging findings with you after consulting with a radiologist.
We also offer consultation services for referring veterinarians. Your veterinarian can send us radiographs of your pet for interpretation by a radiologist.
Our staff consists of board-certified radiologists, residents, certified veterinary technologists and certified radiologic technologists. For more information on board-certified radiologists, please go to http://www.acvr.org/page/pet-owners
Examinations We Offer:
- Thoracic (chest), abdominal, and musculoskeletal radiographs (x-rays) for small and large animals.
- Radiographs for submission to the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA).
- Contrast studies
- Gastrointestinal barium studies to evaluate the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and large intestine
- Urinary iodine studies such as excretory urography for kidney and ureter evaluation, cystography for bladder evaluation and urethrography for evaluation of the urethra
- Myelography for evaluation of the spinal cord
- Fluoroscopy for real-time evaluation of the esophagus, trachea and more
- Thorax, including echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart)
- Musculoskeletal, including tendons and ligaments
- Ultrasound guided aspirates and biopsies
- CT for evaluation of diseases of the skull, nose, spine, limbs, ears, thorax and abdomen
- MRI for evaluation of the brain and spinal cord and limbs
- Consultation for referring veterinarians
Information for Referring Veterinarians
Our radiologists are available for interpretation of radiographs of your patients. To send images for referral:
- Please label all images with the name of the referring veterinary clinic, patient name and date of examination.
- The cost for interpretation of radiographs is $61.80 per case.
- The cost for interpretation of MRI and CT images is $164.80 per case.
- Please complete the RDVM Referral form with as much patient information as possible and submit it along with the images electronically or fax it to (662) 325-4596.
- If sending hard copy radiographs, please mail the films and the completed referral form to the following address:
Diagnostic Imaging Service
Animal Health Center
P.O. Box 6100
Mississippi State, MS 39762